Introduction

Art Work by Doug O'Dell - Running the Edge (An online Fiction Action Novel) Matthew Jacobs, a member of an elite U.S. Coast Guard search and rescue team, finds himself facing the greatest challenge of his life. As a confident and aggressive search and rescue coxswain operating the venerable 44foot motor lifeboats, his job is to do the impossible, but sometimes the impossible can’t be done and he finds himself unable to save the crew of the fishing vessel Marc Eagle during a dramatic rescue attempt. During the failed rescue, he also loses two of his crewmen and very nearly his own life. He faces a loss of confidence and is haunted by the events of that fateful night. His world is further complicated when the former love of his life, the daughter of the skipper of the Marc Eagle, returns from her overseas missionary assignment and reveals a hidden secret, one that could forever tear them apart. Not only must they run the edge of danger presented by the tumultuous waters off the Oregon Coast, they must run the edge of their emotions as they attempt to reconcile their lives. Together they must face a final test that not only challenges their faith, but threatens to destroy them both.

2022/05/07

Running The Edge: Chapter 10 - Winchester Bay Harbor

 

Chapter 10

Winchester Bay Harbor

Nathan paced himself as he half ran and half walked down the pier toward his Marc Eagle II. There was a determined if not angry look plastered on his face, one that matched the angry sky that circled overhead. The winds added a brisk chill to the air which indicated the weather was about to change for the worse again. The permanent aroma of low tide was scarcely noticed by him as he approached the end of the dock where in one adroit hop boarded his vessel and bolted up the ramp into the wheelhouse. Not finding what he wanted, he made a quick step toward the rear hold area where most of the gear was stowed. He shouted down into it.

“Hoke…get up here.”

                 There was a pause with no response from Hoke. He bent lower and shouted again. “Hoke, I said get up here.”

                 A moment later Hoke clambered up the ladder wearing rubberized leggings held on with suspenders. Wiping his dirty hands with a rag, he used his forearm to wipe his bruised and smudged face. There was a small cut across his forehead. Nate took one look at him.

                 “You’re fired…get your gear and get off.”

                 “What do mean I’m fired.”

                 “Don’t even go there. I swear, if you ever so much as look at my sister again, so help me Hoke. I’ll…I’ll.

                 “You’ll what.”

                 “Get off my boat and don’t come back.”

                 Hoke stood his ground, his mordant eyes narrowed as he raised his wide jaw. He stared threw Nathan, threw the shop rag to the deck, and stepped over to where his work gear bag was placed. With one angry swipe he lifted the bag across his shoulder and stepped off the ME II and walked away.

                 “You just made the biggest mistake of your life.”

                 “Get out of here before I call the sheriff.”

 As Hoke lumbered down the pier, Nathan kicked some lose gear sending it flying across the deck. He spun around and stumbled to land on a pile of gear stacked across the stern. Silent but with heavy breathing, his anger flooded from within.

                 Two, then three sharp breaths later he slammed his fist against a wooden box and at that instant a frightening realization overwhelmed him. He knew in his heart he wanted to kill Hoke for what he had done. Next to him lay a bottle of cleaning fluid which he slung toward the bow smashing it against the wheelhouse. He waited a few more minutes until his breathing slowed to a near normal pace before leaving.

               A few moments later, Nathan stood at the end of the old fishing dock that extended about two hundred feet along the edge of the channel. With arms folded, he faced a stiff wind blowing in from over the sand dunes that arched across the western side of the same channel. The cold cut through his open jacket and stung his face, yet too much anger blocked his ability to feel such things. An ashen hue filled his expression as he tried to comprehend recent events. His faith was not something he boasted about, nor was it something he hid behind or pretended how it sustained him. He had always tried to demonstrate it through his life, but there were times he knew his anger got the better of him and through that anger he allowed his emotions to take control.

                  That anger tore at his soul and harbored inside his gut clouding his ability to let go. His thoughts drifted, back and forth, between the loss of his dad and what had nearly happened to Sharon. The wrath, the uncertainty, the emptiness from feeling helpless forced him to cry out, to find a release before his insides exploded.

                 After letting loose with an anguished scream, he lifted his eyes toward the ominous gray sky searching for an answer only to feel a blankness of spirit griping at his heart. “God…I feel so low, so empty right now. I don’t understand why this had to happen.”

                 He silently waited, half expecting to hear some kind of revealing answer. None came, just a silence carried on the wind. From behind him he heard a voice.

                 “Nate.”

                 He spun half around glancing over his broad left shoulder to discover Sharon standing a few feet away. He closed his eyes and turned away.

              “I was worried about you,” she said.

               “I fired Hoke.”

                 “I knew you would. I’m sorry you had to do that.”

                 Sharon stepped closer to him and held his arm in hers. “Nate, I’m okay. Matt was there and he protected me. He got beat up doing so, but he’s okay, we’re okay.”

             “Don’t get started about Matt. First dad and now what almost happened to you.”

                 “It wasn’t Matt’s fault. None of it was. He feels broken by the whole thing. He’s endured more than anyone, even taken a lot ridicule from others in the community. If you would only talk to him.”

                 Nathan turned away from Sharon and shook his head. With a clinched jaw his neck and face bulged.

                 “I can’t…I just can’t and I wish you would stop seeing him.”

                 Sharon closed her eyes to fight back the tears that were blurring her vision. One, then two drops emerged and flowed down the contours of her face to drip and be carried away by the stiff breeze. She swallowed the lump in her throat and spoke with a soft but broken voice.

                 “Dad would not want you to be like this.”

                 Nathan did not respond, he continued to stare across the open water.

                 “Nate, we have something we need to talk about. Something I cannot hide any longer.”

“What is it?”

“Something it’s time you knew about, something I have hidden from you and everyone else I care about.”

His demeanor subsided as he turned to look into her face. There he saw not just his sister, but a woman who needed to find peace with herself and somehow, someway, he was a part of that process.

 “Alright then. You want to go someplace drier?”

                 “No. I might change my mind if I wait much longer. Nate, you have to know something.” She hesitated and held her voice searching her heart for the right words. Finding no other way to say it, she spoke her heart.

                 “Nate…I have a child, a daughter. Her name is Nickie. She is almost five years old.

                 Nathan rolled his head to one side not sure he heard correctly. “You have…a daughter…what…when, how…I mean why, I don’t understand.”

                 Sharon closed her eyes and lowered her head feeling embarrassed and uncertain. “Nate, she is Matt’s child. I didn’t know I was pregnant until after I left for overseas. She was born in New Guinea at the camp where I was staying.  I kept her a secret because I was ashamed…not of her, I love her more than anything. I was ashamed because of what I had allowed to happen, something that should have never happened, but it did. I came home to finally face my family, to tell you and dad…and Matt, so everyone could see just how beautiful she is. But all this other stuff happened and I never had, never made time…it just didn’t seem like the time was right.”

                 “Where is she?”

                “She is staying with my friend Sandy down at Eureka. I call her every day and I have made a few weekend trips down there when I can, to see them. She will come to stay with me soon, when I can get my own place.”

                “Does Matt know?”

                 “No, no he does not know yet and, please do not get mad at him. I am just as much at fault as he is about what happened.”

                “He really is an arrogant jerk and now, I find out he’s hurt you again.”

                 Sharon turned her face away to hide the tears welling up inside her eyes. “Don’t talk like that Nate, please. He didn’t hurt me! If you are going to blame anyone, blame me! I love Matt with all of my heart, I always have. I feel like I deceived him and I am scared how he will react when he finds out!”

                 Nate sat with a stiff posture and clinched jaw looking away shaking his head in disbelief. “You better tell him soon, because next time I see him I can promise you two things will happen and they are both bad.”

                 “Stop it…stop it! You and Nickie are the only family I have left. Saying things like that breaks my heart. Nate, when you see Nickie you will understand why it is so important to let me handle this with Matt. She is a beautiful child and I know with all of my heart she was meant to be born. Please, Nate. All I am asking is for you to trust me, as your sister…if you love me.”

                 He stood and ran his hands through his hair then placed them on his hips nervously shifting one way then another as he walked a few steps away then turned around. “Sis, okay, you have my word, for now, I won’t say or do anything, but I can’t promise that someday, I won’t.”

    Sharon hugged him sobbing uncontrollably, and he ineptly placed his arms around her shoulders. “It will be okay…it’ll be okay,” he tried to comfort her, but you need to tell Matt soon, or I will.”

                “Thank you, brother,” she mumbled behind broken sobs. “You must talk to him soon yourself, but let me tell him about Nicki.”

                 He unwillingly grinned and whispered, “I give you my word. I love you sis…I just don’t want you to be hurt again.”

                 At those words they turned away from the wind and strolled together and left the pier.