Introduction

Art Work by Doug O'Dell - Running the Edge (An online Fiction Action Novel) Matthew Jacobs, a member of an elite U.S. Coast Guard search and rescue team, finds himself facing the greatest challenge of his life. As a confident and aggressive search and rescue coxswain operating the venerable 44foot motor lifeboats, his job is to do the impossible, but sometimes the impossible can’t be done and he finds himself unable to save the crew of the fishing vessel Marc Eagle during a dramatic rescue attempt. During the failed rescue, he also loses two of his crewmen and very nearly his own life. He faces a loss of confidence and is haunted by the events of that fateful night. His world is further complicated when the former love of his life, the daughter of the skipper of the Marc Eagle, returns from her overseas missionary assignment and reveals a hidden secret, one that could forever tear them apart. Not only must they run the edge of danger presented by the tumultuous waters off the Oregon Coast, they must run the edge of their emotions as they attempt to reconcile their lives. Together they must face a final test that not only challenges their faith, but threatens to destroy them both.

2022/05/07

Running The Edge: Chapter 11 - Marc Eagle II

 

Chapter 11

On the Marc Eagle II

 

                Matt stopped at the top of the pier before moving on. Along its length were docked three of the larger trawlers and a couple of the charter boats. Across the harbor the tall poles of various commercial rigs split the air dividing the harbor into neat pockets of picturesque scenery. Near the far end sat the ME II across from the Midnight Sun. He could see Nate working on her deck. He looked toward the sky whose texture was once again becoming dark and ominous. Along the top of the nearby building, gulls were gathering along the edges, a sure sign the weather was about turn worse. Approaching from the entrance channel the trawler Harmony idled her way down the entrance channel on her way out. She was a beautiful vessel, standing tall and proud, an iconic symbol of what was right with her way of life.

                He took a deep breath before moving along the pier toward ME II. Under his feet the pier swayed with each step and the boards, some of which were loose, creaked as he placed weight across them. As he came closer to the ME II, Nathan did not pay any attention to his arrival as he was busy securing gear. Matt stopped next to the vessel, but Nathan kept working without lifting an eye.

                “About time you actually did some honest work for a change.” Matt spoke not actually trying to be funny, but attempting to break the shaky lump from his chest.

                Nathan stopped working for a moment and looked at Matt but did not speak, made no expression, he just returned to what he was doing.

                “Well…permission to come aboard.”

                Nathan with a reluctant nod and a wave bid him aboard. “How’s the bump on your head?”

                “Hurts.”

                “I figured so.”

                “Yeah, well, you know how it is.”

                “Just wanted to thank you for all the cards and letters.” Matt sarcastically interjected.

“I didn’t send you any.”

“Yeah, so I noticed. You never were one to get all mushy, unlike your dad who…”

Nathan interrupted, “My dad…really Matt, is that where you want to go? He’s not around anymore now is he, so don’t even try.”

“No, you’re right. I’m sorry, bad choice of words.”

“Wouldn’t be the first time you made a bad choice.”

Matt’s expression folded into an expression of frustration, “What is that supposed mean…oh, never mind. Maybe I should just leave.”

                “Well, yeah, maybe you should.”

                Matt hesitated before started to turn around, then Nate blurted, “No. Wait. I have something I want to say to you.”

“Not all that sure I want to hear it?  Let me guess, you’re mad about what happened. Is that it, Well, I have news for you buddy. I did everything I could do to get to Jack. I just could not do it. No one could have. The bar conditions were the worst I’ve ever seen. Sometimes the impossible is just not doable.”

“From what I hear, you panicked.”

 “You weren’t there Nathan. Yeah, you lost your dad, but I lost all of them. I almost died myself. You have any idea what that feels like.” Matt paused for several long seconds breathing hard from the emotional outburst. He and Nathan stared at each other, glaring, searching for a way out. There was an empty coldness in his friend’s expression with an accusing glare that pierced deep into Matt’s soul.

“It may not mean much now, but if I could change what happened I would, but I can’t. I’m sorry about your dad, he was my friend and his death haunts me every day. I thought we were friends Nate. And right now, I could use a friend.”

                “We were…are. Ah crap. Matt I am angry, not just about Dad, but about…” he cut short his statement throwing his head to one side realizing he almost broke his promise to Sharon.

                “What are you angry about Nathan?”

                “Knock it off. How else would you expect me to react?”

                “Maybe like a man…or like a friend.”

                Nate’s anger boiled to the surface and he rushed toward Matt who did not move, he just waited for the blow he knew was coming. Nate grabbed him by the front of his jacket and started to throw a punch, but stopped short and held his clinched fist outstretched to one side ready to thrust it into Matt’s face. For several seconds he held his fist up, yet Matt refused to move or to defend himself. He pushed Matt backwards who stumbled and fell.  Nate dropped his arm and took a step backward, “Get off my boat.”

                Matt remained on the deck for a moment, reached for a handhold to painfully lift himself. He cast a vacant stare at his former friend’s face. It was a face torn with guilty anger, one torn by his actions that had just ended a friendship. Matt turned, stepped across the gunwale onto the pier, and started to walk away when he stopped and turned toward his former friend.

“There’s a dark void inside me right now, like something has been wrenched out from deep inside and discarded. I don’t know if I can ever get it back. I don’t even know what it is for sure. I’ve never faced anything like this before. I’ve always been the one with all the answers, found the right solutions, I’ve made all the right decisions…until now. This void keeps growing and fills my gut beyond the breaking point and even hovers over me clouding my mind, syphoning away my strength and resolve. I can’t make it go away. It just keeps on haunting me like an evil specter. What remaining strength I have, what hope that still exists inside of me to reconcile that night just ended. I’m sorry Nate for putting you through this. I never meant for any of it to happen.”

                Matt did not wait for a reply, he just turned and walked away and as he left, a figure moved behind the half open side windshield from inside the wheelhouse of the Midnight Sun moored across from the ME II. Matt passed by paying no attention as Hoke stepped from behind the opposite wheelhouse hatch.

With an acrid grin, he shifted his bloodshot eyes right and left to watch Matt and to glare at Nate who now had his back turned away from him. He leaned over the handrail pressing his massive bulk against its cold surface and chuckled half aloud,

“Big mistake little man…and you both are going to pay for it.”